Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hot Sauce Belongs On Everything

Yeah I mean that. Everything.

Is it wrong that I have had approximately 10 meals without hot sauce in the last month? (The correct answer is No... ahem.)

So I think it's time to admit something I am mildly embarrassed by and mildly proud of... Almost an entire shelf on my refrigerator door is taken up by different kinds of hot sauce. My favorite being, without question, D'Elidas from Panama. Seriously. Amazing.
Still, it's never enough. Never enough Muah Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

So thank you to the New York Times for sparking the idea of making my own! I followed their recipe fairly closely. Less garlic, more sugar, slight blender explosion.

The product was sweeter than bottled stuff, and had a ton of incredible flavor! It says to let it sit for 3 days and yes that makes it better but you can definitely start spooning it on everything you eat the moment it's ready.


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/dining/25apperex2.html

Garlicky Red Chili Hot Sauce

Time: 20 minutes plus 3 days’ standing

4 hot red or orange chili peppers, such as habañero

2 red bell peppers ( 3/4 pound), roughly chopped

5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped

3/4 cup distilled white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.

1. Wearing rubber or latex gloves, roughly chop the chilies. Combine all ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once mixture is simmering, reduce heat to low, cover and continue to simmer until peppers are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Do not inhale vapors; they will sting.

2. Transfer mixture to a blender and purée. Pour into a medium jar and allow to cool uncovered. Cover tightly and refrigerate for three days. Keep stored in refrigerator; sauce will last for several weeks or months.

Yield: 2 cups.

1 comment:

Asya said...

Does anyone know where I can get D'elidas in the NYC area? My local cafe in Wiliamsburg used to sell it to me and they recently went out of business! Help please!