Monday, July 14, 2008

Crunchy Bok Choy Salad

Recently I have been blessed with a cornucopia of fresh vegetables that I don't normally cook with thanks to my neighborhood CSA, and one of my favorites is bok choy! I've eaten this leafy green vegetable, also referred to as "chinese cabbage," on several occasions, but had never previously tackled cooking it on my own. We'll refrain from discussing my first attempt, but the second was fantastic thanks to this recipe found on CookingLight.com (a great source for healthy, delicious recipes with helpful user comments). I'm not normally a real salad lover, but this crunchy, spicy, asian salad is so incredible I've been scarfing down my greens like a rabid bunny rabbit. I highly recommend it for something refreshing with a kick on a hot, summer day (especially if you're trying to fit into that new swimsuit).



Crunchy Bok Choy Salad


Dressing:
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Salad:
1 (3-ounce) package ramen noodles
1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
1 cup very thin red bell pepper strips
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup diagonally cut green onions


To prepare dressing, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.

To prepare the salad, crumble noodles; discard seasoning packet. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peanuts; saute for 4 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat. Combine crumbled noodles, peanuts, bok choy, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Yields 10 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yum! Thanks for the tip!