Monday, July 14, 2008

Real Brooklyn pizza: Totonno's



According to the Zagat, "only God makes better pizza" than Totonno's. I haven't tried God's pies yet, but I imagine that statement just might be true. Totonno's began on Coney Island, so after hearing years of talk about it's wonders, I finally trekked out on the Q train and waited in line with all the devotees for a slice of heaven.

The server was a no nonsense kind of gal, and I knew right away I had to be quick and decisive with my order, so I got a large pie, half with red peppers and onions. The pizza was out pretty fast, and it was clear that I ought to be too, so I chowed down.

True to Brooklyn form, the crust was simultaneously crispy and chewy, with just enough real oven smokiness for the top of your tongue. The sauce had a hint of sweetness, but thankfully not overwhelmingly so. I know some people are in love with sweet tomato sauce, but I'm a savory girl all the way. The cheese was clearly very fresh, even a little wet like a true fresh mozzarella. Since the slices are large, and the cheese is a little wet, I ate my pie with a fork and knife, but it still felt like Brooklyn to me. The peppers and onions were crunchy and nice, but didn't elevate the pie. I've always been a fan of the simple, majestic cheese slice anyway.

It was a long way (and a long wait) for a great slice of pizza, but thankfully Totonno's has several branches in manhattan, and I'll definitely be visiting one soon. Man, do I love Brooklyn pizza.

No comments: